Our study guide is here to help you bone up on every team in the NCAA Tournament, so you’ll always be the smartest one in the room.
In case this is your first foray into The DPI Gradebook, the quick and dirty explanation is that our analytics coverage here at Heat Check CBB consists primarily of two metrics:
- The Dieckhoff Power Index, a team quality rating that measures offensive and defensive efficiency, in addition to performance in the so-called “four factor” statistics; and
- The Gold Star Guide, a subjective rating system styled after the “three stars” postgame accolades commonly seen in professional hockey, in which points are awarded to the three best players in each game (chosen from either team, regardless of result).
In addition to basic information about each of the 68 teams in the NCAA Tournament field, The DPI Gradebook March Madness Study Guide below provides you with easily digestible grades for team statistics and a quick reference guide to the top players on each roster.
For more information about the numbers below, head over to The DPI Gradebook and read through the methodology behind the Dieckhoff Power Index and the Gold Star Guide.
Otherwise, go ahead and dig on in.
No. 1 seed: Gonzaga
- Record: 26-0 (15-0)
- Head Coach: Mark Few (22nd season)
- Team Name: Bulldogs
- Location: Spokane, Washington
- Conference: West Coast Conference
- Last NCAA Tournament appearance: 2019
- Best NCAA Tournament finish: National runner-up (2017)